PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe-9
Thread: Flybe-9
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2019, 11:11
OltonPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DUS

Originally Posted by virginblue
Isn't DUS served from the DUS base? Which, unless I missed something, is still around and has somewhat surprisingly survived the cull.

To be honest, I think DUS is in slightly another league than the other destinations mentioned as it has been around for ages and is served up to 4 times daily. Passenger numbers on BHX-DUS in total are, if I remember correctly, higher to or almost as high as to Frankfurt and Munich as hub airports. The only reason to pull it that I can see would be that yields have deteriorated massively as a result of Eurowings now deploying large Airbus jets on the route (for the lack of smaller 100 seaters)
You are correct to single this route out due to the historical business connections and as far as I know nothing has changed. Also worth noting of course this can be serviced adequately by the Dash 8 and if profitable should survive.

However for many years it has been 4 a day and worked from the BHX base albeit there has been a night-stopping DUS aircraft until recently. However this summer and after the Connect Airways takeover the DUS night-stop early morning BHX inbound was moved to Manchester leaving it a three a day which has never happened on this route in the past but actually this flight had tailed off in respect of the inbound morning passengers and switching it to MAN is probably worth a go.

For clarity the majority of the frequencies on BHX-DUS have always been operated from the BHX base and this is the same now although this is only two services to one (last evening inbound retuns to DUS).

I think it is just reality setting in with those at BHX and we are not deluded like watchers at other airports where cuts and reductions are blamed on others rather than possible issues with the local market. We would like to think that the problem is wholly with the Flybe management but I suppose we will just have to wait to see what their plans are for BHX.

I would hazard a guess that most the European routes are marginal (reply to Crewmeal) at best using the Flybe model bar DUS/CDG but the domestics going by the fares charged should be profitable as 99% of them are operated by the Dash 8. If they are not profitable what the heck are they doing operating BHX -EDI-GLA and BHD at 7 daily in the week, even the most frequent business traveller could mange on 5 or 6 a day.

Pete