PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO eyesight requirements
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2019, 18:22
LaserEyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say you are correct with your understanding of the new rules.

As you can probably guess by my username I have first hand experience of a similar situation. I tried to put myself through a medical about 3 years ago, but was refused an appointment by the CAA after sending them a copy of my laser surgery report. The refusal was based on my pre-operative prescription (which was outwith the prescribed pre-operative limits). They told me at the time that the regulations were due to change and that I should look in to this as it may help me in the future.

Sure enough, the EU340 regulations removed the stipulations regarding pre-operative prescription, and in February of this year I underwent an Initial Class 3 EU Medical at Heathrow Medical Services (HMS) and have been issued with a medical certificate. HMS were unable to issue the certificate on the same day, as they told me that in the case of someone having had laser eye surgery they are required to pass the case to the CAA for them to assess and issue the certificate. So the results of my ophthalmic evaluation at HMS were first sent off to the HMS consultant to be checked and signed off before my file was passed to the CAA. Less than a week after they received my file, I received my medical certificate through the post.

I hope this helps!