PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPIS: "Cabin Air Contamination"- Ongoing Health & Safety Issue (merged)
Old 28th Oct 2003, 07:46
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry but the so called 'facts' expressed on the website are so full of 'ifs', 'buts', and 'maybe's ' as to make the thing completely unbelievable - e.g. :
Under normal operating circumstances it is not thought that crews/passengers are at risk from the oil but if and when the oil enters the conditioning system due to a fault, there is a potential health question.
What the heck does 'potential health question' mean, i.e either there is an issue or there is not - to say nothing of the 'if' which also need explaining.
Overexposure to TCP by swallowing, prolonged or repeated breathing of oil mist, or prolonged or repeated skin contact may produce nervous system disorders including gastrointestinal disturbances, numbness, muscular cramps, weakness and paralysis.....
Please define 'overexposure' ( wherein is 'under exposure' ok ? ), and how long is 'prolonged', and w.r.t. swallowing ( no, maybe not ), and what does 'oil mist' look like, i.e. is it the same as what I might see p!ssing out of the wheelwell bay when a hydraulic hose bursts on my B737 ? What are people doing, bathing in the stuff ?

Another section says:
Symptoms from single or short-term exposures include:

neurotoxic symptoms: blurred or tunnel vision, nystagmus, disorientation, shaking and tremors, loss of balance and vertigo, seizures, loss of consciousness, parathesias;

neuropsychological symptoms: memory impairment, headache, light-headedness, dizziness, confusion and feeling intoxicated;

gastro-intestinal symptoms: nausea, vomiting;

respiratory symptoms: cough, breathing difficulties (shortness of breath), tightness in chest, respiratory failure requiring oxygen;

cardiovascular symptoms: increased heart rate and palpitations;

irritation of eyes, nose and upper airways.

Neurotoxicity is a major flight safety concern, especially where exposures are intense.
Indeed !

......... but one can get all of the above symptoms simply from going out on the lash with ones mates, drinking ten pints of 'Adnams Broadside' and following it up with a blazing hot curry !