PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing advice on "aerodynamically relieving airloads" using manual stabilizer trim
Old 5th Apr 2019, 06:54
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris Scott
Yes, doubt any pilot or F/E rated on the B707 could forget the splitting of spoilers (and, for the approach, the flaps) for pitch control in the jammed-stabiliser case. But I'm not familiar with the layout of spoilers on the wing of the seven-THREE, or if they can be split in the same way. We need a rated B737 pilot to comment...
Thanks for bringing up this interesting topic, Takwis beat me to answer. Just to add that the NG spoiler switches are same class as on KC-135: maintenance purpose only and flaps can't be split as all the high lift devices are green... pardon my French... HYD B powered. It's nice to have another option of pitch control with splitting of high lift and drag devices but its utility has to be weighted against the nuisance of pitching moments with hydraulic system failure. I would guess it's a reason behind spoilers' hyd sources being GYBYG on 320 and AABABA on NG.

Originally Posted by finncapt
Whatever the conclusion of the investigation into the recent accidents, I am somewhat surprised to discover that a very difficult (I know that is subjective) procedure which was required some 40+ years ago is, essentially, required in a modern day airplane.
Originally Posted by PEI_3721
It is surprising that such a feature, requiring significant piloting skill to manage a rare and surprising failure, is allowed in modern aircraft - 737 NG.
However, noting later 737 designs still claim the ‘grandfather rights’ in certification approvals from previous versions, we may not be so surprised.

Well, it's modern in the sense it is flying nowadays and still being produced but it's really 1960s design, leaning a lot on its 1950s bigger brother with some fancy modern stuff grafted on. Up to NG, the grafting was successful and proven safe in use, even if its results were not always quite ergonomic.

Originally Posted by finncapt
He stated that the trim even ran away with the brake on (wasthere a brake?) and his hand trying to stop it.
No brake anymore on 737 NGs (no mention of it on MAX conversion course ether, so I assume it's the same trim sys ) but there is similar failure mode; last recall item for Runaway Stabilizer, after cutting of electrical power to it, is "Grasp and hold the trim wheel". I can't speculate about stab hinges or if it is something aerodynamic, mechanical or pure magic that can make them still run away after (supposedly) all electric power is cut off, yet the possibility is in the QRH.

Originally Posted by LeadSled
So: On the overhead panel, about the Captain's right eyebrow, Spoiler Switch UP, and pull the Speedbrake as required. The rule was: Switch UP, pitch Up, Switch Down, pitch Down ( except on G- registered aircraft, where D.P.Davies buggered it up, as usual).
Could you please provide more details on the parenthesed part? As an avid aviation history buff, I'm really interested in it. Thanks.