PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Wrong Deck Landing
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2019, 06:39
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the big issue here is the "Potential" for something to happen if all the wrong ducks line up. However, in all the wrong deck landings that have happened I am not aware of any "real" safety problem arising.
Pilots do not do this deliberately. There are always mitigating circumstances.
The "Potential" paranoia stems from the extensive investment in SMS, Risk awareness etc that can sometimes get in the way of reality.
The "Potential" for Bird Strike, Blade failure, bolt failure, engine failure.....etc...etc, we live with each and every day.
SMS and the subsequent investigation processes only add value when the objective is to determine why it happened and how to stop it happening again. None of that involves disciplining the crew.
In my experience., majority of these incidents stem from an initial "mindset" that has, for a number of reasons, detached from the plan.
However, over eager management with no operational experience will never really understand these circumstances. That's why in the old days we had a fat old CP, (see-it-done-it) sitting as judge and jury and not a panel of "Experts". Sometimes progress....just isn't"