PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Wrong Deck Landing
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 19:12
helonorth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I worked offshore for quite a few years in the GOM. I did it once when I was new in a particular field. The platforms had a similar repeated pattern and I got confused as to where I was at. Was navigating by sight. The guy got out and started walking away when he realized he wasn't at the right place. I took him on the short flight where he needed to go. Red faced but no harm, no foul. I don't think anybody ever even knew but the workers at the platform were probably wondering what I was doing there but they never said anything. Another time I was told to go to XYZ platform in an area I have never worked before. Odd, XYZ not in the GPS? When I arrived at the coordinates there was nothing but open water. Turns out it was in a different lease block area but nobody bothered to tell me. This required a backtrack for fuel which resulted in some very pissed off workers as it was their flight in after 2 weeks offshore.

Not sure why all the hubbub about this as I don't ever recall anything more than embarrassment from this happening. The only real hazard I can think of would be an operating crane. The crane must be locked down and the operator must exit the cab for a helicopter landing and departing. Certainly could be a problem but the odds of them running a crane and the pilot not seeing it on the one day in your career you decide to land at the wrong platform, are pretty high.