PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff-2
Thread: Cardiff-2
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 16:26
Severn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharklet_321
But hear me out on Jet2. They are doing really well in areas of the country where package holidays are sought after. I would respectfully assume that CWL would be just that kind of market.
No doubt they are doing well in other areas of the country and CWL would be the right market, but surely with TUI based year round (a third based B738 this year) and TCX summer-based (upgrade to a A321 this year), wouldn't Jet2 be providing the same type of operation to the same destinations (within reason) as these other operators?

With RYR also growing at the airport, I'm not sure CWL needs a third predominantly holiday airline which serves mostly Mediterranean destinations (which are already well served by TUI, TCX, RYR and VLG) plus a few city break destinations? I'm almost certain if Jet2 arrived you would see either TCX move out, and/or a reduction in TUIs base.

Currently, the only UK airports that have TUI, TCX and EXS all based are MAN, STN, BHX, EMA, NCL, GLA and BFS - all of which handle (roughly) 5million+ passengers per year. Last year CWL handled around 1.6million passengers in comparison. This does not mean it won't happen, but is currently not happening in the industry.
Personally I think a few more Ryanair destinations would be best for CWL to compliment what they have on offer at their BRS base.