PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 10:38
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharklet_321
The Ryanair operation at SEN was a success and according to Expressflight the 737-800 was only using 950m of runway to land. Taking this into consideration, SOU has huge potential for new Ryanair operations. This assumes the airport offers Ryanair the right deal.

This would be game changing for the airport if they actually get the runway extension and resurfacing done and stands that can handle a 737-800. I doubt it will be done by 2020, more like 2021.

One thing is for certain, I certainly wouldn't be trying to protect Flybe at this stage.
I can't see Ryanair ever operating from SOU. Easyjet is a much better fit, as they cater for business passengers as much as they do leisure. The bucket and spades market has never been strong at SOU. Sure if Ryanair came in charging a few quid to fly it would increase, but a large portion of SOU's business would be overlooked. Flying Ryanair to an airport nowhere near the centre of the city it is supposedly flying to is not going to appeal to people on a tight schedule. You have to question why Ryanair does not have a base at Gatwick or anywhere else in the south. It is a different market.