PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield-2
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 09:21
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pug
Age old argument of passengers wanting to reduce an airlines revenue by suggesting that they give them cut price fares on flights where passenger demand is already hard to justify. Well done also to EI-BUD for proposing that Jet2 should multiply its costs and compete on its own services.

The airport owner can only be blamed for opening an airport in an area where propensity to fly isn’t high enough to fulfil their ambitions. My response was aimed directly at a poster that was keen to remind people that the last time an airline crossed Peel by dropping Teesside from their schedule, the airline in question ended up £12million out of pocket. Great incentive to attract new business in an already saturated market.
Good morning Pug,
My point is that the this is the greatest opportunity that the airport can wish for now, they've explored so many avenues already, easyJet, Ryanair etc.
The topic is wasn't about Jet2.
​​​​​​
Jet2 have significant market power particularly in the family and packaged holiday market, if DSA want a big slice of the cake in the region, Jet2 could bring it. I wouldn't speculate on the commercials or such things as cost duplication. We don't always see the cost benefit analysis and many airlines operate from neighbouring airports with commercial justification, let me give you some examples;

Ryanair - bases at PIK, GLA and EDI
Jet2 - bases at LBA, MAN
Jet2 - bases at BHX, EMA
easyJet - bases at LTN, STN, SEN

I agree that the region is incredibly competitive from an airport perspective, but airline do and can often justify having bases close together and there is nothing to say that Jet2 however unlikely it may be, couldn't split their operation between LBA and DSA, without duplication of services. Afterall, reading the history on the threads for DSA, the belief seems to be that DSA could prove an excellent alternstive to LBA. Indeed there was a group of posters proposing a new alternstive airport for Leeds at one point. I wonder what commercial rationale that stood behind that.

Play nice people ...
EI-BUD