PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage - myth or reality?
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 06:37
CaptainProp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If we don’t have a substantial financial correction in the next 12-24 months, one that’s massively changing the landscape, I think recruitment will continue as air travel is set to increase substantially over coming 10-15 years.

The fact that easyJet (as it was mentioned) is showing signs of not recruiting much at the moment means nothing. For most companies recruitment is semi-seasonal and come August / September they’ll start calling people in for interviews and OCCs as training ramps up again in preparation for 2020. This pattern is true for most airlines in Europe and it’s nothing new.

Will there be more companies going under? Most certainly, but the number of commercial aircraft and passengers travelling will continue to rise.

Don’t forget that even at a moderate fleet increase of say 4-5 % per annum companies like easyJet and Ryanair are adding 15-20 aircraft. Then there are all the smaller t-p operators, regionals, bizjet and cargo operators, legacy airlines etc etc. Add retirements and people who decide to leave the business altogether and it’s pretty clear that there will be plenty of recruitment going on also in the coming years. Just my two cents.

(Added)
.....but a real pilot shortage? Not a chance I’m afraid.

CP

Last edited by CaptainProp; 4th Apr 2019 at 06:49.