PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did you check your balloon notams
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 19:26
punkalouver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you check your balloon notams

I remember reading a story about an SR-71 pilot having a near encounter with a balloon at Mach 3. I assume that no evasive maneuvering was anywhere close to possible. What about airliner experiences. I have never seen one myself but these guys did.....

"C-FFPH, a Boeing 737-800 aircraft operated by Sunwing Airlines, was conducting flight SWG746
from Toronto/Lester B. Pearson Intl (CYYZ), ON to Nassau/Lynden Pindling Intl (MYNN), Bahamas
with 6 crew members and 180 passengers on board. During cruise flight at FL360, approximately
395 nm north of MYNN, the flight crew reported a near miss with a weather balloon. The event was
reported to ATC, and the flight continued to destination without further incident."

Going strictly from internet info, a balloon notam will look something like this...

"High altitude balloon release 5.49 WNW of KAGC, E/SE bound reaching Flight Level 600 (60,000 feet) on June 6. Launching time between 1200 and 1300Z. E/SE direction of drift. Landing time no later than 1700Z"

Anybody else had any interesting encounters?