PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sim Checks - Horror Stories?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 14:32
meleagertoo

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts
I finally got that long-dreamed-of call for a job, type rating included for a N European 737 start-up.
First day in the system for admin etc about ten of us stood there waiting for the CI in the sim building foyer (Company had no offices as yet) at the appointed time. After 20 mins or so we were beginning to wonder if we were part of a big hoax but he eventually stamped in looking dishevilled and out of sorts, and without greeting us announced (barked) his name and counted us out loud and then demanded, very crossly, where the hell are the other three then?WHY ARE HEY NOT HERE? It semed he thought we ought to know. I never saw him smile, he had a permanent scowl and never spoke normally, he ranted, demanded or barked rahter like a much-hated disfunctional history teacher I one had. In the sim he was an utter horror, shouting NO NO NO NO! THATS'S A NONSENSE, DO IT AGAIN! etc. He trained largely by shouting, ridicule and belittlement though his tech knowledge on the 737 was legendary and he could explain and brief superbly. His usual intervention in the sim wsa a long drawn exasperated sounding NAAAAAOW! leaving you to wonder what the digamma you'd done wrong as the nature of your error always took some time to become apparent. He loved multiple failures and double jeopardy too. The training was all done on the graveyard shift in order to save money so one was always zonked. Sims were scheduled at two-three week intervals, some a month apart so continuity was zero and it was impossible to plan for a session as they always changed, sometines to a phone call, "GET OVER HERE NOW, WE'RE BREIEFING AT MIDNIGHT" a week or more before expected. Even one such call on Christmas eve - a rostered day off - in the middle of dinner. I fibbed and claimed I'd had a glass or two of wine. One session even started with me getting a stand-up bollocking for my partner being late!
Even though the opportunity of a 737 rating was precious beyond gifts I began to dread the sim and performance suffered. Finally one night after a full-scale earbashing and belittling I said to my buddy if the **** does that one more time don't be surprised because I'll hit the pickle button and tell him where to stuff his poxy training. He must have realised he was overdoing it as he lightened up just enough to prevent it and I eventually got the rating. He was the angriest man and worst instructor I've ever met by a factor of ten or twenty but to be fair he did instil in us a very professional way of operating and a very thorough knowledge of the 737 and it's systems.

Later, on the line, I had a sim recurrent with two of the national TRE/TRIs who were doing mutual checks with me sandbagging and then then my check later. We reached the hotel at 1030 the day before our 0630 sim and as is their national disposition went straight to the pub. And I mean straight. It was 'Dump bags, down here in ten!" . By 1600 I'd been accused of backsliding as I'd managed to slip back to six pints against their eight and returned to the hotel feeling awful and with some pretty unpleasant remarks about the nature of my manhood and stamina in my ears.
Later that evening I went for some fresh air and on returning from a couple of hours brisk recuperation at 2230 saw them bowl back into the hotel ahead of me, evidently straight from the pub. And right into the hotel bar!
Next morning, both the boggarts were bright as buttons, I felt like shyte and they both put in exemplary performances in the sim. I wish I could say the same. Apparently we just don't breed real men in my country. (CRM wasn't a big thing in that outfit)

Those of a nervous disposition will be relieved to know the company didn't last long, thank God.

Last edited by meleagertoo; 4th Apr 2019 at 14:16.