PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sim Checks - Horror Stories?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 12:34
staircase

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Having been retired a number of years now I wonder if my ‘tuppence worth’ is relevant, but here goes.

My first simulator sessions were when I became a F/O and subsequently a captain on an analogue jet 40 years ago. We got two 4 hour sims twice a year. You did get out sweaty, but I felt that it was training. We had the odd ‘discussion’ but in general I felt that it was well handled.

I then got a job flying a 757 with another company. Comparing the two I felt that I did go from being trained to being examined. Now, it may be that the comparative complexity of the systems in the part digital jet, demanded so much more to be practised and checked in the time available. I did get the impression that the training department were under a certain amount of pressure to get the ticks on the lesson plan, in order to keep the CAA happy. But some things did grip, for example an failing emergency turn at V2, because I accelerated before the turn was over, but I was well above sector safety height. And I came out of most sim checks with that type of bad feeling.

But my biggest gripe is that it seemed the emphasis on the sim ride seemed to change, in order to ensure that whenever we got a malfunction, we carried out all the required check lists and briefings. It seemed to an old hand like me, that there was a philosophy that said if all checks and briefings were carried out, then all would be fine and safe.

As an old duffer, it seemed to me that if there was a fire for example, by all means run checklists and briefings but do it whilst you are pointing as quick as possible at the nearest available runway. It is no good flying holding patterns whilst you run the check list for hold fire for example. I watched one F/O have the engine break up at rotate, and it was 40 mins later before he ‘landed’, in fairly good visual conditions. His handling of the incident was praised. 40 mins flying holds on 1 engine in the overhead of an airfield?

Off to the pub now I have had that off my chest!