PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mike Macey of Shoreham fame
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2003, 04:47
Wunper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS

I looked through my school days logbook:

"10/7/71 4:35 pm Auster 5 G-ANHR pilot M.F.Macey , joy ride, 2 stall turns Shoreham 15 mins"

I remember him well he used to operate from the hut on the SE side of the field at Shoreham , he had an old LE Velocette motorcycle.

He had a very dry sense of humour and never minded being pestered by over inquisitive young aviation enthusiasts such as myself.

He had seen everything that came and went at Shoreham over the years and seemed to be able to eek out a living with his faithful Auster. Increasing activity, Air traffic Control and the requirement for Radio finally put paid to his operation.

He had handling it absolutely off to a tee with all of his sorties starting their takeoff and finishing the landing roll within feet of the perimeter road next to his hut irrespective of the wind conditions, not one thimblefull of fuel was wasted!

He also had a second Auster although I forget the reg but it was not used anything like as much as G-ANHR, which lived out in the open year round with a cover over the engine and canopy.

Aircraft was silver doped finish with red lettering and pinstripe and had white piped red upholstery with a bench seat for two small uns in the back. Mike did all his own maintenance to a very high standard including recovering and painting.

I have often wondered if he is still alive, sadly I suspect not as he would be quite a ripe old age by now ( well into his 80s?). I shall ask what contacts I still have at Shoreham and post back whatever the news is.

Mike Macey a real old school aviation character if ever there was one!

Kind regards

Wunper