PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maintenance Lapse Identified as Initial Problem Leading to Lion Air Crash
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 09:15
Uplinker

Received 114 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
I have experienced weird wiring anomalies in a number of aircraft, and a few avionics systems, that frustrate the maintenance troubleshooters for days and weeks.......
An airship I was once working in (but not piloting - during my television engineering years), had Porsche flat six engines driving the ducted fans. One of the engines had a persistent but intermittent slight misfire. The engineers eventually found that a coaxial cable which carried the ignition signal to that engine had somehow been wired wrong, so the earth was carried by the centre conductor and the signal by the outer screen. A coaxial cable is supposed to have the outer screen earthed so that the signal carried by the inner is screened against external interference.

As somebody has already suggested; one wonders if all the AoA probes on the grounded aircraft will be tested by hand : moving them back and forth, clockwise and anticlockwise by engineers through their whole range to see if there are any bad data spots or signal interruptions?