PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can i be a pilot with glasses
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 07:10
Typhoondriver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
A number of RAF FJ colleagues have had the procedure KenV refers to above. I believe they all paid privately for the laser procedure and attended Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, all utilising the services of the same world renowned eye surgeon.

On each occasion (that I am aware of), these guys were in a ground tour at the time of the procedure. Whilst USAF / USN rules allow their pilots to be flying again within a matter of weeks, RAF medical rules require something in the order of 6 months before a valid med cat can be re obtained.

Please do not go to your local opticians that may be offering a special '2 for 1 deal' - you'll invariably end up getting the wrong type of operation (LASIK vs LASEK?) and it'll be performed by someone who has little knowledge of the exacting military medical requirements.

Also, please do not try and have the procedure performed on the QT - I'm told it's very easy to spot individuals that have had laser eye surgery with the correct equipment. So if anyone was thinking about having the procedure before IOT and trying to claim they've never had it done - that would be a very unwise course of action.