PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First the VGSs and now the UASs?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 22:32
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by DCThumb
Well I remember more than one guy on my Swinderby course who had to fly in the canvas 'G' Helmet as they didn't fit with the helmet as well so nothing is new!

My point re Prefect is simple. It is up to the contractor to provide suitable equipment for MFTS. If there is a problem with the Prefect and pilots unable to fit in then is is an Ascent issue, and then a contractural issue between the RAF and Ascent.

In the event of a forced landing, a bone dome will provide protection to pilots from injury. In the event of an abandonment it will protect the pilot is he or she is unfortunate enough to impact the airframe on the way out. These are indisputable facts and I wouldn't want to be at a Safety Action Group where I was asked to put my name on record as commending the removal of either item. Picture the scenario if there was a further incident whereby it was alleged that either of these would have saved a life/prevented serious injury following their withdrawal, and the subsequent hunt for those who made the decision.
I’d sign that off if responsible. There is no significant evidence of fatal head trauma resulting from someone bailing out of a light aircraft. In fact I know of several glider pilots, who normally wear nothing more than a beany sunhat, that have bailed from their gliders without a fatal head injury - there are literaly 100s of bail outs from gliders worldwide every year. Think about it, you are travelling at the same speed of the aircraft and when you jump you are doing that same speed. Yes, drag will slow you down a bit but not enough at light aircraft speeds to cause a fatal head injury - it it was then there would be lots of dead glider pilots!!!

The real protecting a helmet gives a parachutist is during the landing phase. But then again, most glider pilots walk away from their descent to terra firma and so again there is only a slight increased risk of a bonk on the bonce if you hit something on the way down.

Now manage that risk against a heavy helmet that makes it harder to move your head during manoeuvre, degrades your performance on hot days in non-air conditioned cockpits with perspex bubble canopies and also costs a lot of time/effort to fit plus is a lot of money. Is it a risk that is being unreasonably treated under the ALARP scheme for a light aircraft when that money might be better spent on other safety features with higher risk?