PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 22:18
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by HundredPercentPlease
In my old 737 FCTM, the first action in a stall recovery is to "apply maximum thrust". Really not a great idea at low speed with the pitch/power couple.
In my A320 FCTM, the first action in a stall recovery is to "immediately reduce AoA".

As said above, the training syllabus is to un-train the previous thinking which was all about "minimum height loss".

So we have been busy practising. You might want to direct your outrage at Boeing, and not at those of us still flying who know exactly how to recover a stalling aircraft.
Frankly, after a lifetime of flying jets and other aircraft the practice of applying thrust FIRST as a stall recovery technique Is BS. A wing stalls because the stalling A of A has been reached or exceeded., According to my RAF training and CFS experience as a QFI, and Boeing 737 training captain, ( and another 15,000 hours on jets) the essential , primary, technique is to reduce the A of A ( which caused the stall in the first place !,,,) and simultaneously add max power. And yes, the aim is to minimise height loss , obvioulsly. Simples, and yes I am aware of the veritical component of thrust on stall speeds but a wing stalls as function of A of A period. !!!

So, you can add all the thrust available but if you dont reduce the A of A you will not unstall the wing !

Works every time, incuding on sailplanes which generally dont have thrust available.