PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SEP expiring
Thread: UK SEP expiring
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 22:07
Artus KG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr UK SEP expiring

Hi guys,

it is the end of my first two years as a pilot so please excuse me for not expecting my current bad situation. I am living in Germany but do hold a UK PPL (A) with a SEP rating. The SEP rating now needs urgent renewal and I was just expecting to do this by experience: a one hour flight with an instructor as I do have (more than) 12 hours in the 12 months prior to next week. In fact, I already did four hours with a German FI in the last two weeks as I am going for the Night (A) at the moment. When the instructor wanted to extend the SEP entry using those hours, he stumbled upon the UK CAA website (google for "uk caaa Single-engine piston rating for aeroplanes") stating that a non-UK FE can't sign the certificate of revalidation. It also states that "SEP revalidation by experience can be signed in a UK issued licence by an examiner holding a valid UK issued Part-FCL examiner certificate or a Flight Instructor with the privileges of FCL.945."

I didn't expect this roadblock and don't really know how to easily fix this.

Does finding a UK FE who only *signs* the paperwork based on my flight log (and maybe a call with my FI) suffice? Do I need to find a UK FI with FCL.945 for another hour (willing to do so if need be)? If so, do you know one in Germany? Do I need to find a UK FE for that hour? Other ideas (on a German forum one person suggested that I "register" / accredit a German FE with the UK CAA but I am not sure how long this process takes and how much it costs - does someone have more info on that as well?

Help appreciated!