PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TUI Airways
Thread: TUI Airways
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 17:48
Cazza_fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VC10man
I know it is now a German company but it trades on the London Stock Exchange and the brand "Thomson" was well known and respected. I think it is a marketing mistake to change it to a silly sounding childish name like TUI which rhymes with huwey.
TUI is almost as old as Thomson. I'm sure most would agree that the UK market would have preferred to have retained the well known Thomson name, but operationally and logistically it makes sense to keep the masterbrand under one name across all their markets. Especially markets in which they all serve. They have managed to keep a number of sub-brands in their local country markets including First Choice Holidays and Skytours in the UK.

TUI were very clever at introducing their name and image steadily from 2002. Bringing their brands and family under the "World of TUI" umbrella. Initially standardising the then Britannia Airways, Lunn Poly and Thomson names under the same look and smile logo. The UK market has thus come to know this very well.

I don't quite understand how anyone can see the companies 'acronym' of TUI sound childish? I suppose it could be more childish to think it ryhmes with random names...

Last edited by Cazza_fly; 2nd Apr 2019 at 19:17.