PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maintenance Lapse Identified as Initial Problem Leading to Lion Air Crash
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 14:43
Double07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen any report on whether there was a confirmed fault found with the sensor that was removed. Does anyone know?
You are correct. There has been no report to date on whether there was a confirmed fault found with the sensor that was removed.

In two previous posts above I tried to present evidence that the sensor MAY have been at fault after many other posters have been unable to explain how a large angular offset of 22° can be produced by the electronics downstream from the sensor. My post confirming that the replacement sensor was a reworked sensor was merely additional evidence that the sensor MAY be at fault. I was careless, however, in my choice of words. What I should have said was: “It has now been confirmed that the replacement AoA sensor on Lion Air flights JT043 and JT610 was a reworked sensor. This sensor was on the same LHS side as the 22° offset in the AoA angle recorded by the instrument recorder, and may have been the cause of the offset rather than the electronics.“ Even with this additional evidence, it is still not confirmed that the sensor was at fault. This is why the KNKT investigation is visiting the Florida maintenance facility to see if they can confirm that the sensor was at fault.