PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TUI Airways
Thread: TUI Airways
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 07:02
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
757 capabilities

Originally Posted by 737James
I know a few people keep saying about the poorer fuel efficiency of the 757 compared to the 737/Max, Does anybody know how much trip fuel a full 757 take off with on say BHX-LCA compared to the 737 which i know would be around 14 Tonnes for 738 maybe a bit less for the Max.
This just came up on the 757 nostalgia thread and highlights what you can do with a 757 that a 737-800 or an A321 can never match...

In 1991 an Air Europe Capt flew KHI-LGW nonstop in 9h 5m with 229 pax (all heavy Danes going home from holiday in BKK to CPH)

Quote from the skipper - (Brakedwell)
The planned routing was BKK - KHI - BEL - LGW - Copenhagen with a full load of large Danes. I was keen to reduce the aggro caused by an impending Gulf War and used every trick I had learned when flying DC-8 freighters. As it was a night flight traffic was light and we were given optimum flight levels for most of the route. I used manual throttles a lot as the auto-throttles tended to hunt up and down at that time. Numerous direct routings also helped. At TOD around Abbeville the fuel was comfortably above the line and well above the legal minimum on shut down.

I wonder if that puts him in the 757 record books ?
KHI-LGW with 229 pax in 9h 5m

Another skipper managed to fly Puerto Plata (POP) to Manchester with an almost a full load in just 8h 50m and another Capt mentions he tried to do POP to LGW but chickened out and went to Cardiff for some gas after 8h 20m. It was a VERY full load of 233 and some very old 'children' on the load sheet,(if you know what I mean)!!

I was Ops controller at Ogdens when we handled AE until the end so I may have met Capt ''Brakedwell''
I often wandered out to the 757's to see how the turnarounds were going...
A few pals were AE CC and my flatmate was a BY 757/767 skipper

We shall all miss the 757