PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circling approach for the straight in runway
Old 1st Apr 2019, 19:03
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicbum
On a straight in approach if the runway is insight and I am too high it is because something went wrong in my NPA, so it is a go around and we give it another try.
On a side note, I know we are only discussing "legal aspects" but guys nobody will shoot You for not being able to land out of a straight in approach in marginal weather and having to divert. On the opposite side, if somebody ends up trying to be smart by doing something he has never tried before or has never heard of, then things could go differently.
Not keeping my promise to stay out of the discussion very well....

Two things I need to point out:
You keep saying straight in approach, but it is a circling approach, even if it is associated with a specific rwy (so no you wouldn't be too high if you are at circling minimum and close to the rwy.
This is not some crazy newn thingy, like I already posted, the guy representing 60.000 airline pilots in the USA says this is okay, and it is trained too, it's apparently in the Canadian AIM.

There's no way the pilot would get in trouble if he followed this procedure correct if something were to happen. Maybe if it would go wrong often enough the authorization would be removed, but guess what, many more aircraft have crashed dipping below minimum or
​​diving down get the straight in, than by circling back.