PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172. Flap asymmetry?
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2019, 18:37
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTEPossible asymmetry, particularly with electric actuators, is why I never operate the flaps with bank. ][/QUOTE]

I did a checkout once in a 172 at Stapleford with the legendary Eric Thurston (a privilege to have flown with him). Anyhow, as I was turning final, I thought some more flap was required, so started extending them. 'ROLL WINGS LEVEL, NOW!' said Eric. 'OK, now go ahead and make your flap selection'. During the de-brief, which took longer than the flight, he gently explained that you'd never sort out flap asymmetry in a turn, so always select flap in level flight. That was 25 years ago, and I still teach my students this, whatever the type. So, yes, keep the hand on the flap lever, even for those with detents you can select. We had a 152 once which gave uncommanded flap selections because the microswitches were out of alignment - a bit embarrassing but with the 152 you can climb away with max (only 30deg) flap. You had to reach behind the switch and fiddle with it to get the selection you wanted...

TOO