PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPDLC and "abeam" waypoints
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2019, 17:23
HighHeinz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPDLC and "abeam" waypoints

According to our technical department, when given a direct routing that eliminates some waypoints, we are not supposed to use "abeam" points when connected with CDPLC. Reason being that it creates waypoints that are unrecognised by the ATC system (for example abeam WOLPO becomes something like WOL01).

Now, according to Jeppesen, Data Link Operations, extracted from the GOLD Manual;

4.4.6.3.2 The flight crew should include only ATC waypoints in cleared segments of the aircraft
active flight plan. However, when an ATC clearance eliminates a waypoint, it is permissible to
retain and report the point abeam of that waypoint since this ensures retention of meteorological
data associated with the eliminated waypoint.
NOTE: If the flight crew inserts non-ATC waypoints (e.g. mid-points) into the aircraft active flight
plan and activates the change, the aircraft system may trigger an ADS-C waypoint change event
report at the non-ATC waypoint, or include information about the non-ATC waypoint in the predic-
ted route group, as well as the intermediate and fixed projected intent groups. As a result, the
ADS-C report will include information about the non-ATC waypoint, which is not expected by the
ATC ground system

So the way I'm reading this (and I think it's quite clear) is; abeam points no problem, any other user made point yes problem...

Anybody with ATC and CPDLC experience any comments on this? Or any fellow colleagues that might have the same procedure?

P.s. I'm a long haul freight dog... B747-400 and -8