PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 1st Apr 2019, 07:33
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by GordonR_Cape
Not to step on anyone's toes and waste your time. Can you clarify a point for me, following my recent response to some some farcical posts, where my response included interpretation of certification requirements. Do you mean:
1. Suggestions such as installing a 3rd AOA vane so that the flight control computers can vote on the output?
2. My response that certification requirements to such changes will be costly and time consuming?
Do you mean you have stopped responding to #1 or #2, or both? Or do you mean stability requirements certification, such as elevator feel? Or all of them?
Gordon, I'm not a flight controls guy - I spent pretty much my entire career in propulsion. So I don't think I'm overly qualified to comment on the requirements for a flight control system - either design or cert. But I spent nearly 30 years as a DER or the delegated equivalent AR and worked extensively with the FAA, EASA, the Chinese CAA, etc.
My comments regarding farcical posts have to do with statements such as 'Boeing is self certified' and 'everyone else just rubber stamps the FAA approval', or 'the cert requirements for the MAX are from 1967' - all of which are demonstrably false (read the thread I linked in the previous post for some detail). People who have not been involved in aircraft certification simply have no idea of what's involved and how it works (or, occasionally, doesn't work).
I've made several posts where I explained this, but apparently no one reads them...