PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 1st Apr 2019, 05:22
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Edmund
There are very defined and strict rules regarding accident investigations. ALL public information releases MUST come the investigating authorities (in this case the Indonesian and Ethiopian agencies). This is nothing new, those rules have been in place for decades. I was involved in some investigations before I retired (the major one being the Lauda 767 T/R deployment in-flight) - and I was directed not to talk to anyone who didn't have a need to know. Violating that could result in serious disciplinary action - up to and including getting fired. I'm not about to the endanger the career of a friend by posting information that was discussed with me in confidence. The Lauda investigation was hard on me - it was obvious early on Boeing had messed up - and not being able to talk to people about it just made it worse. Rumor is there has been at least one suicide attempt among the MAX engineering ranks. This stuff isn't easy, those aren't mindless robots who designed and certified it. We're talking about real people, and they are taking it very, very seriously.
Ask yourself, how long did it take after the AF447 boxes were recovered before the results were publicly released? It took months. The job of the investigators is to determine what what wrong and how to keep it from happening again - not to feed public curiosity or to try the case in the the court of public opinion.
The results of these accident investigations will be published - along with such things as the voice recorder transcripts and FDR data. I'm sure the story of how the cert went wrong and why will be front and center. The process takes time - it's easy to sit behind your keyboard and criticize but you're not the one tasked with getting it right.

If you want to know how the cert process works, start by reading this thread:
Of modern airliner certification

I worked with the FAA for nearly 30 years before I retired - they aren't perfect (nor is EASA) - they are made up of humans and humans are not perfect. I've certainly seen flaws with the way the FAA and EASA do things - one of the biggest is that they have a tendency to miss the forest because they are too busy examining the trees - they often miss the big picture.