PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 1st Apr 2019, 04:19
edmundronald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
When I mentioned I know more than I can publicly discuss, I was referring to the accident investigation, not cert. As I've posted many, many times, information regarding an accident investigation is only to be made public by the lead investigators.
I'm made several posts on the cert process on the half dozen threads related to the 737 MAX - it's like talking to a wall and had no noticeable effect on the number of farcically ill-informed cert related posts. So I decided to stop wasting my time...
Tdracer

I am afraid that at this point in the negotiations between various countries, airlines and Boeing and the US agencies, the general public has about as much faith in the "investigation reports" for the Max as in the "certification paperwork". Sorry about that, public confidence is the first casualty once people start explaining how bad it would be if *facts* were published. That is why Airbus and AirFrance had to go to extreme lengths to recover the AF447 orange boxes, and why in the end blame got apportioned to everybody and no one protested from Airbus - for bad pitots specced and airspeed disagree badly managed in software, the management for not replacing pitots, and pilots for not handflying the plane - any amount of blame was preferable to a suspicion that something was left unsaid.

There is an old joke - sunlight is the best disinfectant. Rather than rant about how dumb and badly informed the public and media are, why not just make all the certification documentation and recovered data from the accidents public, including the flight recorders and the documentation supplied by Boeing to the airlines ?

When it takes the President himself to issue a grounding order, as the last country to do so, the last thing anyone will now expect from the FAA is impartiality or honesty.

Edmund