PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 1st Apr 2019, 01:43
edmundronald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
The second half of that is not correct. Per the Changed Product Rule, any new or changed system on the MAX (or the commercial cert of the 767-2C/KC-46) must step up to the latest revision levels of the regulations (there are exceptions, but they are rare and not applicable to MCAS). So you'll find the cert basis for MCAS is pretty much the same between the MAX and the KC-46. That doesn't mean they work the same way or are intended to do the same thing.

I'm staying pretty much out of this now - I've had some 'off the record' discussions with people 'in the know' - so I now know more than I can publicly discuss. However I can say most of posts related to certification are seriously lacking in accuracy.

I think this shows a difficulty - certification procedures are supposed to be public.
How can the public trust a certification process if it is "confidential" between an aircraft manufacturer and a certification authority which is delegating authority to the manufacturer?

Edmund

Edmund