PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The times they are a changing..........
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2019, 19:36
pulse1

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
In 1997 I came back to GA after a break of 23 years. In those days, I had to do the whole PPL course again but I only had to do half the hours. The first thing I noticed was the increased number of exams and the massive increase in the literature I had to study. Originally, in 1967, there was just a small book called "The Student Pilot's Handbook". Apart from that I didn't really see much difference outside the huge difference in the environment I was flying in. Originally I learned at an uncontrolled airfield in a non radio aircraft. The later learning was at an International airport and was very much radio-centric. Apart from that I couldn't really see much difference until the moving map GPS allowed cross country flying to be much more relaxing and therefore much more fun for mediocre navigators like me. As I now fly a Permit aircraft it is more like flying in older times as long as you stick to private strips and part ownership gives one a sense of freedom that renting rarely does.. The introduction of Medical Declarations instead of regular medical examinations has also restored a sense of freedom for us older aviators.