PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First the VGSs and now the UASs?
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2019, 17:05
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Big Pistons Forever

This is where PPruNe needs a “like” button. I agree that gloves are something I always wear when flying GA. I also try to keep away from nylon/polyester and wear cottons/wools and layer up where able. Finally, I tend to wear shades as I only ever fly day VFR in a puddle-jumper - that gives my eyes all the protection they need in a 90-120kt birdstrike (or even worse, drone strike!). I also question the wearing of parachutes if you are flying below 2,000ft AGL as you are probably better off trying to force land rather than bail close to min-bailout height. The helmet with respect to abandonment is also interesting - there are no correlated stats to show significant head injuries pre-1950 when leather/cloth flying helmets were used. In fact, when you think about it you are travelling at the same speed as the aircraft you are jumping from, so serious injury is unlikely, and I would suggest that the helmet is more likely to be of use for the final part of the parachute descent rather than the start?

Like everything, this is all about risk management. You could be trussed up like a chicken, cocooned in impact absorbing flame proof foam and restrained by 9-point harnesses with air-bags - but then the average puddle-jumper would fail to leave the ground and the occupants would die from heat exhaustion with no ability to enjoy the recreational activity of sport aviation! So I agree with your points that sensible precautions against the significant risks (like fire that you mention) rather than the <1% chance of being in a survivable accident where a helmet will save you.