PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circling approach for the straight in runway
Old 31st Mar 2019, 10:30
sonicbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hans brinker
I think we will not be able to change each others mind, so I will leave this with a link to an article written by the former ALPA TERPS chairman (I think he is qualified to (at least for the USA) make the call if this is legal):

" Figure 4. For a circling approach where the electronic final is aligned with the runway, fly down the runway at MDA until it’s about to disappear under the nose, then enter the close-in circle-to-land maneuver.

Circling to land straight-in Figure 4 (page 12) is the method I recommend for handling a situation like the MFR IAP, where you aren’t comfortable landing straight-in. The first reaction of both pilots and controllers is to “do a 360 on final” rather than what I’ve illustrated. A 360-degree turn on final is fine on a clear VFR day. That’s not the type of day with which this article is concerned, however. I’m assuming night or day with precip, bumps, gusty winds, etc. When you really need to circle at MFR, Figure 4 is the way to do it. Fly down the runway at MDA until it’s about to disappear under the nose, then enter the close-in circle-to-land maneuver."

https://skybrary.aero/bookshelf/books/1430.PDF
Thanks for the interesting link. When the author mentions "where you aren’t comfortable landing straight-in" I believe it probably refers to the vertical profile that might be too steep, don't think it has anything to do with marginal weather for a straight in approach, but that's just my opinion of course.