PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Notes from Heli-Expo 2019
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2019, 19:34
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Of course, Spunk and Finalchecksplease, you guys are right. After I blew the pic up on my home computer, *now* I can see the digital readouts nestled in the side of the FLI (or whatever Bell calls it). But still, if the analog representation is of N1 (or Ng), one must ask: Why is this thing turning so fast?? Is the Ng that near its limit? The weather during Heli-Expo was rather cool, and the 505 was at less than 2000 feet msl. Does the Arrius need to turn that fast to make 500 horsepower? Something doesn't seem right.. Does that 505 have a sick engine?

Or...is collective increase not proportionate to N1 increase? In other words, if the pilot in that picture began pulling in more power, would the N1 increase more slowly than the torque, and then the torque would become the first limit before the N1 reached its max? I can only hope so. Otherwise 505 pilots are going to be limited by N1-topping, which seems highly unlikely in a modern helicopter.

Contrary what some of you may think, I don't hate the 505. I just think don't think it's a very good design. I expected better...a lot better...from Bell. And seeing a couple of them up close and personal has not changed my opinion of it much. It just seems so...unfinished. (I visited the Tech-Tool Plastics booth and asked if they made replacement windshields for the 505 yet? They said no- that they'd have to get one so they could make the mold. I then asked if it would be expensive? And they went, "Oh God, yes!" And I laughed. I pity the first 505 operator that has to do a non-warranty windshield replacement. That's going to be pretty spendy.