PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circling approach for the straight in runway
Old 30th Mar 2019, 16:36
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicbum
DOC 8168 defition of circling :

Visual manoeuvring (circling) is the term used to describe the phase of flight after an instrument approach has been completed. It brings the aircraft into position for landing on a runway which is not suitably located for straight-in approach, i.e. one where the criteria for alignment or descent gradient cannot be met.

In our scenario this is not true. The above, for me, is more than enough to consider Your example of circling for runway 16 not legal at all, as there is a perfectly working IAP for that runway with a more than suitable alignment/descent gradient. Since we are discussing legality, this is what, IMHO, any safety investigation would bring up should there be an event out of this kind of approach.
Edit: I can totally see your interpretation based on the your definition, but what I found for ICAO 8168 is (unless I am looking at an old version):
A circling approach is an extension of an instrument approach procedure which provides for visual circling of the aerodrome prior to landing. (ICAO Doc 8168: Procedures for Air Navigation Services - Aircraft Operations (PANS-OPS) Vol I - Flight Procedures)
What you quoted is JAROPS (I think):
A circling approach is the visual phase of an instrument approach to bring an aircraft into position for landing on a runway which is not suitably located for a straight-in approach. (JAR-OPS 1.435 (a) (1))

Also, at various times I have been trained and authorized by FAA (can't remember RLD (Dutch "JAA" times TBH) examiners that this is an approved way of flying a circling approach.

I think we will not be able to change each others mind, so I will leave this with a link to an article written by the former ALPA TERPS chairman (I think he is qualified to (at least for the USA) make the call if this is legal):

" Figure 4. For a circling approach where the electronic final is aligned with the runway, fly down the runway at MDA until it’s about to disappear under the nose, then enter the close-in circle-to-land maneuver.

Circling to land straight-in Figure 4 (page 12) is the method I recommend for handling a situation like the MFR IAP, where you aren’t comfortable landing straight-in. The first reaction of both pilots and controllers is to “do a 360 on final” rather than what I’ve illustrated. A 360-degree turn on final is fine on a clear VFR day. That’s not the type of day with which this article is concerned, however. I’m assuming night or day with precip, bumps, gusty winds, etc. When you really need to circle at MFR, Figure 4 is the way to do it. Fly down the runway at MDA until it’s about to disappear under the nose, then enter the close-in circle-to-land maneuver."

https://skybrary.aero/bookshelf/books/1430.PDF

Last edited by hans brinker; 30th Mar 2019 at 17:30. Reason: adding text