PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are the minimum hours in the right hand seat dropping?
Old 30th Mar 2019, 00:55
sheppey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the most pressing issues with MPL, being competency-based, is that you need to invest effort in clearly, unambiguously and objectively defining what competent looks like for every task performed.
Please forgive my ignorance of where this term "Competency Based Training" all started from. I have always thought that all flying training was 'competency' based.

Is it, for example, merely a flash method of ticking boxes on a hate sheet? Or maybe arse covering to minimize the chances being hit with Penalty Points at the next CASA audit of the books? I talked to a former CASA Examiner recently who, because of his love of flying and to get away from the stifling confines of his open plan office, happily instructs on light aircraft. He said it took him over 1.5 hours of box ticking before he was able to send a student on his first solo in a Cessna 152.

But all that aside. Clearly he would have ensured his student was competent at each sequence required before giving his student a fatherly pat on the back and sending him solo. Isn't that competency based training? Something that started with learning to fly? . In my first RAAF Log Book is a sheet of paper pinned to the first page was called called "Sequences of Instruction as per A.P 3225". Sequence No 1 is Familiarisation. . No 2 is Preparation for Flight. No 12 is First Solo. And so on until No 21 Formation Flying. A student pilots progress report certifying competency or otherwise was all the paperwork required. So what's new with the MPL being competency based training? Isn't all training aimed at getting someone competent at the desired task?.

Last edited by sheppey; 30th Mar 2019 at 01:12.