PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas B744 stick shaker event near Hong Kong
Old 29th Mar 2019, 23:49
TimmyTee

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KABOY

Right, so he pitched down according to the report, but he failed to roll wings level. Last time I checked there was no holding pattern situated next to Betty, all traffic was holding in a vertical pattern(above and beneath). Maybe if he did roll wings level he would have removed the aircraft from a pattern where multiple aircraft were stacked. His actions in effect jeopardised the aircraft below him as he maintained the pattern laterally, but broke separation vertically.

Your sensationalist remark about avoiding a tragic mid air collision is sadly misguided and your defence of his actions only leads insult to your profession and that of Qantas's image.

I had the exact same thought on this rubbish protectionism of a fellow colleague.
When stalling in the hold, while in the turn, surely any 100hr+ pilot would come to the conclusion that straight ahead is the safest bet (to allow wings leveling and create space with traffic).

Maintaining the turn is nothing but 100% arse covering, and by far the most riskiest of the two options (both in not completing the stall recovery technique that Boeing and grade 3 instructors teach, and the loss of vertical separation).

If I was the crew simply going about their job safely below, having read this report, I’d be mighty miffed.