PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are the minimum hours in the right hand seat dropping?
Old 29th Mar 2019, 10:46
MickG0105

Received 214 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Yournamehere
What a load of absolute bollocks.
Even though very little has been released to the public about the tragic ET accident (unless you know a great deal not very many others do), it's quite clear that the issue at hand is not the First Officer's experience level let alone the MPL. This much is patently clear given Boeing's response to the event - the manufacturer having accessed the flight data recorders too, it might be added.And if you're going to sit there and put down "well, any FO really" then I doubt you have any qualification to comment on issues that occur within a multi-crew environment. A Captain making all radio comms throughout an emergency (can you say with certainty who was PF or even what the task sharing situation was in the Ethiopian accident you refer to?) does not simply reflect poorly on the FO's ability as you allude to. It could just as easily point to a Captain's over-bearing nature which itself can have a negative an effect on a crew's attempt to resolve a given situation.You do a great disservice to yourself and to the reasonably balanced discussion that is ongoing in this thread by barging in with your baseless nonsense referencing a recent tragedy of which you have no understanding of in order to support your whimsical thoughts.I suspect from your posts that you're not (or were) an airline pilot so to sit in judgement of those who are doing a job you have never done yourself is beyond me.

If you're going to start an argument about what I've said best you focus on what I've actually said rather than what you think I've said because there is manifestly a veritable gulf between the two.

I didn't say that the FO's experience was the cause of the ET302 crash. I didn't even say that it was a contributing factor. In a thread specifically discussing the topic of FO experience I made the point that 'I fully expect that' an aspect of the topic being discussed in this thread will get some attention. And I do. And time, not you, will tell whether I am correct on that.

As to my qualifications to comment on this, I am most assuredly not an airline pilot. Never claimed to be, and in fact in other posts in other threads, I have made it clear that I am not. That said, I have spent a fair bit of time over the past few weeks researching MPL and that entailed speaking to or corresponding with at least a dozen high hour, very experienced current commercial pilots (many of whom I know from our days in the RAAF). My observation regarding FO performance in an emergency is essentially a distillation of their views on the matter.

And to be clear, I am not 'sitting in judgement' on the crew of ET302. Neither of them chose the level of training that they received or made determinations about the standards.

As to whether I'm doing myself a disservice or otherwise, I'll happily place any contributions I've made to any thread up for scrutiny with regards to them being properly informed, factually correct and logically reasoned.

Last edited by MickG0105; 29th Mar 2019 at 10:47. Reason: Format