PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circling approach for the straight in runway
Old 28th Mar 2019, 15:01
oggers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicbum
EU Ops Definitions:
Circling: the visual phase of an instrument approach to bring an aircraft into position for landing on a runway which is not suitably located for a straight-in approach.

The flight maneuvers should be conducted within the circling area, and in such a way that a visual contact with the runway, or the runway environment, is maintained at all times.

To me it is pretty clear Your example is not allowed.
So tell me why this guy is wrong:

Circling to land straight-in Figure 4 [Fig 4 shows circling 180° to the D/W before landing on the stright-in runway as per the OP] is the method I recommend for handling a situation like the MFR IAP, where you aren’t comfortable landing straight-in. The first reaction of both pilots and controllers is to “do a 360 on final” rather than what I’ve illustrated. A 360 degree turn on final is fine on a clear VFR day. That’s not the type of day with which this article is concerned,however. I’m assuming night or day with precip, bumps, gusty winds,etc. When you really need to circle at MFR, Figure 4 is the way to do it. Fly down the runway at MDA until it’s about to disappear under the nose,then enter the close-in circle-to-land maneuver.

Wally Roberts is a retired airline captain, former chairman of the ALPA TERPs Committee, and an active CFII in San Clemente, CA