PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airborne early - what to do?
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2019, 08:29
double_barrel

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Airborne early - what to do?

Apologies for digging-up an old accident report. But I ran across this http://www.transport.go.ke/downloads/5Y-BSA.pdf while searching for information on a particular airstrip and could not help wondering what was the best action.

Essentially, on the take-off run on a (1200m) dirt airstrip they hit a bump and became airborne too soon. The captain (pilot monitoring) killed the power, then the F/O who was PF tried to push the nose down while the captain was pulling back- presumably in an attempt to perform a gentle 'landing'. They over ran and ripped off the nose gear. Sounds like a real CRM mess.

Interesting to think about what the options were, especially as I contemplate using dirt strips. I guess once the throttles were closed there was no option but to get it down hard and fast and hit the brakes? But before then, was there not an option of flying out of the situation? Keep full power, ease it down and keep accelerating away to a normal takeoff ? I am pretty sure that would have been my instinct.