PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas B744 stick shaker event near Hong Kong
Old 28th Mar 2019, 05:18
donpizmeov

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Vasis
A pairing of 24,000 and 16,000 hours and a mistake like this. Who was flying the aircraft?... Pretty concerning. Everyone is fallible.
On checking, I have found both crew members were human . It would seem it's a human trait that allows them to make an error . Add the startle of something happening, when nothing has ever happened in the previous 20k hours, the decision making and handling skills you believe you have when reading a report, are sometimes different to those you have when starring in a report .

It is rare to find someone that has manoeuvred an aircraft without autopilot about 10000 feet these days . And no, following FDs in a climb is not manoeuvring. it is even more rare to have such a large aircraft at so low a speed .Procedures are designed to prevent this right? So when it does happen on your watch, it takes a while to understand why? What is happening? Did I do it? Have I lost my job? Etc etc . So when recovery commences, you are already at a high state of anxiety, much much more than you have had during SIM training (nothing goes wrong in aeroplanes anymore right?), so things aren't going to be as pretty as they are in the SIM . During the recovery, you will rationalise that it's only a stall warning, not a stall, so does that procedure really apply .You will not want ATC asking why you are deviating from ALT etc .

Lots to learn from reports like this .