PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2019, 04:16
Okihara

Location: Currently: A landlocked country with high terrain, otherwise Melbourne, Australia + Washington D.C.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll probably get more flyable days in Perth, but Melbourne might have a busier airspace and therefore have more learning value (apologies if I offended anyone and happy to be corrected if I'm wrong). That being said however, I'm assuming you'll be doing this full time so the weather won't actually be that much of a problem, whether you train in Perth or Melbourne. Because you're doing this full time, you'll be hanging around at the school filling gaps in between flying by learning the material for the written exams. Therefore I'd be looking to add other factors into your decision making process, the city definitely being an important one. Here again, I think you'll find that Melbourne is a much larger city than Perth, and as such has more to offer to young people.

Choosing a school itself has been the subject of many threads on pprune so you should have no trouble finding the answers you're after using the search tool. I can't speak much about schools in Perth but when it comes to those based in Moorabbin, be wary of marketing, shiny looks and seemingly cheap rates. There's no free lunch and you get what you pay for. Ask yourself what type of aircraft the school operates and whether they're the ones you'd want to fly in. Do your research by reading reviews, and talk to them directly. If you have the option to visit and do a trial flight with a couple of them, that'll give you some real insights into what to expect. Finally if you want to mitigate the risk of being stuck with a school you're dissatisfied with, use the fact that you can get a RPL (both for fixed and rotary wings) after some 25-30 hours and change schools to carry on with your PPL. There might be some visa considerations to observe but that's an option that would give you more freedom. If you're happy with your school, you may as well skip the RPL and go straight for the PPL.

I've had positive impressions of a school operating a fleet of Cirrus. Not the cheapest option in town by any standard but I highly liked that they charge on flight switch (as opposed to engine as most schools do) which is more conducive to learning because you won't rush your run-up checks and won't stress if you have to wait for 20' at the holding point. If you were charged on engine time, you'd be spending around 20% of your budget on ground time at a large class D airport like Bankstown or Moorabbin. Lastly they're not cheap but they have very experienced instructors and, with all due respect, there's a strong chance that you'll learn heaps more from a 50 year old instructor who's been flying for 25 years than a 22 year old who just got his instructor rating (again, no offence, I've been instructed very well by junior instructors). Other schools that operate a mix of Pipers and Cessnas have a solid reputation. Then you have a range of newer schools that operate lighter aircraft in both GA and RA. I can't say much about those and only time will tell how successful they are.

Last edited by Okihara; 28th Mar 2019 at 16:07.