PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Security Alert
Thread: Security Alert
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2019, 00:49
Roadster280

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by langleybaston
Correct as I recall.

I was never sure that I understood public access to the "camp". There were two vehicle access roads post IRA atrocities, essentially from the east and the west. The east access [at least] was always manned by armed military personnel, with ID checked, and random car searches. As to whether genuine German civilians were stopped, I know not. What is certain is that Germans worked in JHQ and in many areas, so had access as necessary. Some houses of historic vintage were owned and lived in by locals. Two Federal German policemen, Tweedledum and Tweedledee, attempted to enforce Federal road laws, such as parking with the flow, and correct use of cycle tracks. Several shops opposite the NAAFI and in the SW extension were German, and there was a German Post Office.
In retrospect I suppose that there had to be an agreement with Germany to institute checks on the access roads. Of course access on foot, bike or horse was infinite, including through my back garden gate into the woods.

Incidentally, egress as well as access from/to JHQ was controlled, with ID checks and random searches at home time. I never ever used the brown job entrance: apart from anything else it was a million miles away from RAF territory, and JHQ was inadequately signposted so getting lost was all too easy.
There were clocks everywhere, sometimes disagreeing by more than a minute or two. ACM Sir Sandy got that sorted in the RAF area within a few days of arriving, and he got rid of the few dogs as well. The army area was definitely doggy throughout, but never a horse [although one colonel was reputed to allow his into the MQ].

Those of us who served there in the 1970 to late 1990s were a golden generation, thrice blessed. Beautifully maintained, medical, recreation, sport, entertainment, security, duty free, cheap petrol ........... and yet my branch was often short of volunteers. Funny old world.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be.
JHQ was a security nightmare. There was a German civvy bus route through the camp. The gate guard would check that everyone on the bus had a Personalausweis or passport, and that was it. On it went.

Although actually posted there for a year or so, I lived in Willich, having been posted previously in Krefeld and kept my much superior quarter. Thing was, I didn't need a JHQ-specific car pass to gain access to the camp in general. Only to access certain compounds within the barracks; and obviously personal passes for specific buildings/functions beyond my ID card.

Not really surprising it was the subject of terrorist attack, and not really surprising that the modern-day MOD is upping security requirements. Not only have they not gone away, they've multiplied in number and variety.