PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ITT question
Thread: ITT question
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2019, 20:41
what next

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello!

Originally Posted by zlakarma
What ITT should read on climb in Citation .
The one I fly has PW535 engines. As already written, the manufacturer states a limit N1 speed for different altitudes and temperatures, not an ITT value. The latter one is limited by the red line only which you will never reach if you observe the N1 values.
However one TRI/TRE who taught me a lot about flying these aircraft told be that it is good to limit the ITT at 600 degrees all the time (the red line is at 700 degrees). This will result in an N1 value of 2 or 3 percent below the permitted value and still give you plenty of power. Even observing this (arbitrary) limitation I have had one catastrophic turbine failure (catastrophic not for me but for the turbine....) and since then I am even more cautious never to exceed that limit.

My turboprop experience is limited to a Garrett powered Metroliner which had a "single red line computer" fitted. This permitted the pilot to always operate the engines at the red line which was not constant, but varied with outside conditions. I have no idea whether or not this is standard with Garrett engines or some fancy extra of "our" aircraft.