PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are the minimum hours in the right hand seat dropping?
Old 27th Mar 2019, 15:28
Chocks Away

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second that yes! Cathay S/o's are NOT even trained on TCAS manourvres in cruise! Cut backs aplenty!
In today's climate it's all about "affordable safety" (How far can you cut back until safety is compomised & a death occurs!)... all very well until a "Management's" (term used very losely!) offspring dies.
gtseraf - totally agree.
cattletruck - Having experienced the EU weather alot I must say I was always on my toes watching out and trying to read the cloud formations and vapour trail movements. THIS was often the only small indication of turbulence available, that would upset an otherwise pleasant flight service. Thankfully being in a widebody we were often above it (except in China where no Foreign carrier was to be above a local ) Now I'm not talking about the turbulence experienced often on NATS ot Nth Pacific. That's a very different scenario though has the same basic concepts.
Many "youngen's" are not aware of these tell-tail signs to look out for nowdays... that goes worldwide and even moreso here in Australia, where the champ on my right is often on his/her first jet in the upper levels. Some listen to advice, some don't and their career progresses accordingly.
Aviation doesn't let you have your "oops mistakes" because you chose not to listen or learn, because you thought you knew better or it didn't seem right... That then becomes your reputation, which is all you can hang your hat on together with your log book, in this Industry, which is very small in this region.
So in closing, some great comments in the contributions above and yes I agree definately the minimum hours has decreased, dramatically and all you need to look at to confirm this are all the myryad of endless advertisments on the AFAP and job websites here and globally.
Are the hours right seat better quality now? Not here in Aust, no where near!

Last edited by Chocks Away; 28th Mar 2019 at 13:52.