PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2019, 14:38
Just This Once...

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I seem to recall flying straight and level achieved around 1G. Running-in to a display and not being at or above the minimum entry speed at or before pitching into the vertical is a decision made in the most benign of circumstances. I am struggling to see how or why this action could be impaired by any G-related physiological effects.

Originally Posted by Bob Viking
I can accept that AH was not criminally negligent. I also accept that the CAA bear a lot of blame for allowing the regulations as they were. As an ‘experienced FJ operator’ though I question why he felt suitably qualified and current to fly those manoeuvres.
I can only agree that the CAA's lax or incoherent regulation played a part in this incident but we don't blame the police if they fail to identify and stop a bad driver before a car crash. This pilot will have known that he was attempting something that the RAF would have never authorised him to do - fly an unfamiliar fast jet at a public display with just a handful of hours on type. Even in his day job his employer would not allow him to operate any aircraft type with such poor currency.

As you say BV, most of us would not consider attempting such a display even when current on type. Unfortunately a few pilots had convinced themselves that the lack of civil regulation was a green light to undertake anything they were personally prepared to do.