PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are the minimum hours in the right hand seat dropping?
Old 27th Mar 2019, 14:13
cessnapete

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sheppey
What has always been in my mind when flying in Europe with second in command copilots straight from flying schools via simulator time then into the right hand seat of a jet transport, was how they would cope if the old bloke in the left seat suddenly keeled over at in the cruise at 35000 and the the copilot was all alone apart from ATC, and the autopilot. Many of the recently graduated copilots I flew with wouldn't have a clue quite frankly.

Without all the bells and whistles of automation they have been brought up on during their brief time in the airline, I am convinced they would be out of their depth - despite holding the exalted rank of having three bars and legally second in command. Although not their fault, it is the company imposed complete lack of hands on pure instrument flying ability that is the elephant in the room. Fortunately, statistics are on their side and the short danger period of less than 1000 hours RH seat soon passes.
Already happened, and with ATC cooperation for a speedy divert and max use of autopilot that you deride, the aircraft funnily enough landed safely. ( The Capt happily recovered)
Do you really think that the said airlines training department would release a P2 onto the line if he was not capable of a single crew emergency??

sheppy
Your airline obviously recruited unsuitable clueless co pilots!!

Last edited by cessnapete; 27th Mar 2019 at 14:59.