PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Testing of idle reverse thrust before takeoff. A wise precaution?
Old 27th Mar 2019, 13:24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mustafagander
tdracer,
How come then many airlines SOP is idle reverse and use the brakes to stop?
We were told the opposite - reverse costs way more than brakes due temp cycles and fuel burn. We plebs flying the beast have no idea, it's their train set so we play with it their way.
At my operator "idle reverse only" came out of a check airman meeting in which both GE and Goodrich representatives spoke. GE presented that reverse was the greatest evil civilization has ever faced, while Goodrich didn't care if the airline used reverse or not. Apparently no one considered that the engines were leased/under maintenance contract while the brakes were simply purchased as needed, thus the interests of the two suppliers were very different.

I do know for certain that no one considered the amount of landing performance work actually done on contaminated runways during certification.

It has always fascinated me how individual departments in an airline can use very sharp pencils, but when it comes to pulling it all together it is more crayons and markers.