PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Building USA - (Master thread)
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2019, 17:04
bulldog89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rust_bucket
TempoTCu you're saying the things that are rolling around in my brain as well. When everything is added up, is it actually cheaper/worthwhile to hour build in the US?

Costs-

- Return flights
- Visa (to some extent you're going for training not as a tourist)
- Insurance (make sure you tell them what you're up to)
- Accommodation
- Transportation
- Food
- Entertainment
- Flying hours and the trimmings
- Time off from work (you could use holiday pay, but if there is a delay?)
- Maintaining costs at home
- Costs associated with delays e.g. bad weather
- Costs associated with conversions

I've lived in the US on/off for the past several years and would say the cost of living is generally higher compared to the UK at least.

I would argue that you could hour build much faster than most places (UK/Europe), but I'm not seeing a cost benefit. Happy to be proved wrong though
Don't know about the UK, but I've just came back from the US.
Flew 76 hrs, taking into account all of the above I paid 12200 USD (could have been less taking a cheaper plane as the C152, or cheaper accommodation or not going to Las Vegas or to San Francisco or whatever). Went heavily X-country. Price for 76 hrs in a comparable plane (not NVFR/IFR certified, US plane was both) in Italy is 16700 USD. Landing fees plus living/transportation costs at home not included, just the plane. I'd go back right now if I could.

So if you live in Italy and have the possibility just do it. No idea about flying related costs in the UK.