PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why Cathay Pacific allowed pilot with measles to fly
Old 26th Mar 2019, 07:42
Killaroo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh I agree with you about those companies deserving to have their AOC's withdrawn. Believe me I DO!
But that's in an ideal world - you know, the one where the declarations Corporations make about 'safety first' etc really mean something, and get applied even when they are faced with the 'negative commercial consequences' of such priorities.
I'm tempted to ask you if you are really a pilot? Really flying in this brave new world of Corporate malfeasance, and regulator capture.
The regulator is meant to police the AOC holders, keep them honest, limit their excesses. Make sure the rules are applied.
But they often do not. Because the regulators often rely on the Corporations for their livelihoods! And there are lots of other considerations too (like the public who want the cheapest fares, and their political representatives who want to curry their favour to stay in power). Lets not forget the shareholders. And the Airline Ratings companies. The list goes on.
Yet you expect a LONE Pilot to confront the lot of them?
Oh, I've been there, done that! It caused me a lot of hassle - and I got no support from anywhere. Other colleagues of mine (Captains) lost their jobs for refusing to carry out orders that were exactly against the OM-A, and unsafe. I'm talking about Hong Kong here, not some banana republic.

The Pilot will ALWAYS lose.

So get off your high horse. Get real. What's safe or unsafe is relative now, and your opinion as a pilot is far down the list of stakeholders.

Exhibit A Ethiopian Airlines says Pilots got correct Training

Your job is to take the blame. Get it?
And Cover Your Arse, that's all you can hope to do.