PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA lands at WRONG airport - Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf
Old 26th Mar 2019, 07:10
KelvinD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had 2 incidents in which confusion reigned for a few minutes.
The first relates to the comments about how the passengers didn't notice the Channel hadn't appeared along the route and was on an RAF Argosy, flying from Aden to Francistown. Having left Nairobi, I happened to look out of a window (not easy as we didn't have seats, only the parallel bars and nets so was back to the window). I couldn't help noticing there was water below us and I could see a coast line some way from us to the East. I had figured out that, as we were flying more or less North to South, the coast should have been to our West. Then I discovered how big Lake Nyasa was!
The second was on a BA777 going from London to Kuwait. Everything was going swimmingly and we taxied toward our departure. The Captain came on the PA and announced "We shall shortly be taking off toward New York.." A lot of heads bobbed up, necks swivelled as people looked at their mates in surprise. "New York? Bugger New York! I am going to Kuwait" etc. The Captain then continued with his announcement telling us how will be turning left shortly after take off, when we get to Ascot. From there we will travel toward Kempton Park, then Epsom and on to Canterbury where we will cross the coast. The drinks trolley was around very soon after take off and I ordered a G & T from the chap with the cart. A voice came from behind my left shoulder, saying "I will serve this gentleman. A G & T was it sir?" I turned and found I was being served by the Captain! It transpired he was very close to retirement and was very keen on horse racing!